Sunday 13 March 2016

The Sunday Post ~ 19th Century Treasure + The Magical Teacup Cupcake Box of Sanity



Happy Sunday, bookworms! 

No, your eyes are not deceiving you - the Sunday Post weekly meme is back! It's alive!

http://www.riotgames.com/sites/default/files/Alive.gif 

And there is ever so much to talk to you guys about. This past week has been full of awesome developments and exciting news to share - from discovering a 19th century text on my shelf, to the to-good-to-be-true reads that are lined up for the upcoming week.

But before I get into all of that, here's the latest blog news:

  • The university term has begun! A.k.a Booknut will be posting slightly less regularly, as apparently uni work is a tad more of a priority than getting through my TBR pile which is utter nonsense of course, we all know the TBR pile is LIFE.
  • We celebrated International Women's Day! And I took the chance to write an open letter to the fictional heroines who have inspired me in my life.
  • We had so many lovely guests say hi this week (thank you to everyone who dropped in and/or left a comment!) including the wonderful Deborah Blake, author of the Baba Yaga series.



One of the most exciting part of the week at least for me! was the discovery of a treasure sitting on my bookshelf. 

Now, to be fair, every book on my bookshelf is a treasure (I love all of my babies equally!) but this particular book had me jumping up and down with excitement. Why, you may ask? Because it was published in 1872!


Ancient Classics for English Readers: Pliny's Letters has been on my shelf for a good four years now. But I've never given it a good, close look...mainly because I am a history nerd and the book contains a historical recount of the eruption of Vesuvius (which means once I start reading about Vesuvius, I can't stop reading about Vesuvius!). 

But thanks to a museum studies class I'm taking this semester at university, I went about taking a closer look at the book and its starting pages. Only to see the Roman numerals 'MDCCCLXXII' stamped inside the ageing book (which = '1872'). Further research cemented my find and that's when my nerd fanfest turned into a full-fledged nerd party!

To summarise: I adore old books and actually owning one made my day, my week...my year!


 In other news...my TBR PILE IS SLOWLY KILLING ME!

I have soooooooooo many books to get through! They're all clamouring for attention, pouting forlornly at me from their shelf-like cages or that could just be my overactive imagination, only time will tell! 

http://gifstumblr.com/images/get-back-here-and-love-me_610.gif

And yes, I realise how this section clearly fits into the 'first world problem' category. Don't get me wrong - having too many books to read is the best problem ever! But it's still a problem, because how do I choose between which books to read and which books to read and review? 

As of this month, I have a concise list of the books left to review. But with each day that passes my TBR pile for upcoming months is spinning out of control! Hence...The Magical Teacup Cupcake Box of Sanity.


It's an empty teacup box, with cupcakes on it...and it's been the biggest lifesaver of my currently deteriorating sanity! I've filled it with little slips of paper with book titles written on them and I add new slips every single day! and when I'm looking to read and review a book, I just pick one from the box. 

Simple? Yes. A godsend? Yes. Does it make me crave cupcakes 24/7? YES.



A lot of you guys have been sending me questions about how I blog and I am so, so flattered that you guys think I have a blogging process. Really I just fumble along like one of the Three Blind Mice to be honest!

My blogging corner and a peek at my blogging essentials!

So I thought I'd answer some of those blogging-related questions here! 

Q: How do you get coloured boxes around pieces of text?

As many of you will know, when it comes to blogging and the little details, there is a lovely little thing called html.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1840569/ESlltYe_jpg.gif

Html...is wonderful if you know how to use it and a nightmarish pain if you don't! But if you don't, never fear, because there are wonderful people out there who have taken pity on us poor peasants and have shared their html secrets with us.

My all-time favourite is Leah from Color It You. She has a mind blowing post on creating coloured boxes around text, placing images, and finding the perfect colour codes. It's in simple, easy to do steps and has made my life so much easier. You can view the post here. Color It You is basically blogger heaven. Visit it, befriend it, embrace it!


(If you have any other queries don't hesitate to send them to me via Twitter or Goodreads messaging)

  • My very first unboxing post! I have around six or so book mail packages that will be arriving any day now or next year, depending on the Australian postal system! and I thought since there are so many an unboxing post would be fun...so stay tuned!
  • Reviews of: The Girl From Everywhere, A Study in Charlotte, Dreamology, Seven Ways To Lie, Seven Black Diamonds, Lions in the Garden, and Lady Midnight.
  • It's not on next week but be sure to mark your calendars for the 31st of March which is my stop on the Walk the Edge by Katie McGarry tour! I'll be reviewing the out of this world book and there'll be some awesome goodies for you guys.




Have you discovered any new and amazing books this week? How do you get through your TBR pile or is your pile out of control like mine?!

Let me know what the highlight of your week was in the comments!

So that's all for this week's Sunday Post! I hope you've all had a wonderful week and that next week is just as awesome...if not better :)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I will be sure to drop by yours some time - I'm sure it's brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...